St Albans City Hospital History:
Many locals today are unfamiliar with the history of St Albans Hospital, many assume it came into being along with West Hertfordshire Hospitals NHS Trust in 2000 while others avoid arguing. Interestingly, the history of St Albans City Hospital started in 1838 when Union Workhouse was founded by the St Albans Board of Guardians. With the passage of time and slight modifications, it became St Albans Public Assistance Institution called Oster House in the 1930s.
Fast forward to the establishment of 1974 and 1992-3, St Albans City Hospital became a prominent member of the St Albans Community NHS Trust followed few significance affiliations over the years.
St Albans City Hospital Services and Amenities:
St Albans City Hospital provides excellent medical assistance, diagnostic, ophthalmology, and treats outpatients for an emergency, surgical attention and minor injuries unit. In 2005, St Albans City Hospital launched its Breast Care Unit to provide all the necessary medical care to women undergoing Breast issues and diseases. In fact, the Breast Care Unit looks after around 300 patients every year.
Historical Timeline of St Albans City Hospital:
Here’s a quick glance at the history of St Albans City Hospital:
- 1834 – Poor Law Amendment Act was passed
- 1838 – Union Workhouse was founded
- 1841 – St Albans Union Workhouse
- 1930 – It became St Albans Public Assistance Institution (Oster House)
- 1948 – Became Osterhills Hospital
- 1948 – National Health Service was created
- 1950 – Amalgamation between St Albans and Mid Herts Hospital to form St Albans City Hospital
- 1974 – North West District Authority took control of the hospital
- 1992 – Became part of St Albans Community NHS Trust and Dacorum
- 1995 – the Permanent address was changed to Waverley Road, St Albans
- 2000 – Became part of the West Hertfordshire Hospitals NHS Trust
Getting to and from St Albans Hospital:
By following the below directions, and travelling guide, interested individuals can travel to and from St Albans City Hospital on the following public transport.
Travel to St Albans City Hospital by Train – You can use any local train that as stop at St Albans City Station AL1 3JD near Victoria Street, St Albans Abbey Train Station AL1 2PS
Travel to St Albans City Hospital by Bus/Coach – You can use the Chime Square Bus Station AL1 3HD, AL1 3HB, Alban City School Bus Station, AL1 3RR, Catherine Street Bus Station AL3 5BX and few others at reasonable price
Travel to St Albans City Hospital by Taxi – one of the best, affordable, safe and easiest ways to reach the St Albans Hospital is by taxi. You can request St Albans Taxis & Private Hire with a request for a ride at surprisingly affordable prices 24/7.
Contact Details of St Albans Hospital:
- St Albans Hospital Address – Waverley Road, St Albans, Hertfordshire, UK
- St Albans Hospital Postcode – AL3 5PN
- St Albans Hospital Phone Number – +44 1727 866122
- St Albans Hospital Times – Opened 24 Hours a Day